WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - The William and Mary men's soccer team continues Colonial Athletic Association play on Saturday as it travels to George Mason for a match slated to begin at 7 p.m. Fans can follow the action online at TribeAthletics.com with live stats. For $6.95 fans can watch the match live courtesy of GoMason.com
Scouting the Tribe
The College travels to Fairfax, Va., on Saturday evening with a record of 2-8-3 and a CAA ledger of 0-3-2. On Wednesday night, the Green and Gold dropped a hard-fought, 2-1, decision to league opponent Georgia State. Junior Will Smith tied the affair with his first collegiate goal in the 60th minute, but the Panthers countered with the difference maker in the 82nd minute. Senior Ben Anderson leads the Green and Gold with eight points coming on two goals and four assists. Sophomores Chris Albiston and Marcus Luster have netted two goals apiece, while junior Roshan Patel has accounted for one goal and one assist. Sophomore keeper Bennett Jones leads the CAA with 57 saves, while his 4.38 saves per match also rank first.
Scouting George Mason
Mason entertains the Tribe with an overall record of 8-4 and a CAA mark of 1-3. On Wednesday night, Drexel edged the Patriots, 1-0, in overtime at George Mason Stadium. Sophomore Timmy Mulgrew leads GMU with 18 points coming on seven goals and four assists, while senior Taylor Morgan has netted eight goals, which is tied for the most in the CAA. In 12 starts between the posts, fifth-year senior Dustin Butcher has collected 24 saves and four shutouts.
News and Notes:
- Saturday's match will be the 45th meeting between W&M and GMU, as the College owns a 24-15-5 series edge over the Patriots. Aggregately, the Green and Gold have scored 74 goals compared to Mason's 58.
- Last season, the No. 22-ranked Tribe defeated the Patriots, 1-0, in Williamsburg with a penalty score in the 81st minute. Sophomore Chris Albiston generated the penalty kick opportunity in which former W&M standout Nicolas Abrigo blasted home the game-winner.
- Since 1971, W&M owns a record of 8-6-3 at George Mason. Additionally, the Tribe reeled off six-consecutive victories in Fairfax, Va., from 1990-2000.
- Since 2000, the Green and Gold have recorded 12 road wins in the state of Virginia. Highlighting the road triumphs was an 3-2 overtime win at No. 7 Virginia in 2003.
- On Wednesday night, junior captain Will Smith scored his first collegiate goal in W&M's match against Georgia State. The preseason All-CAA selection punched home the equalizer from just outside the six on junior Roshan Patel's free-kick service from 45 yards away in the 60th minute. Not only was the goal the first of Smith's career, but the assist was the first of Patel's career.