The William and Mary Athletics Department has recently taken major steps in upgrading the football program's facilities. The College's commitment to the program has never been stronger, as current and future Tribe football players now enjoy some of the finest, modern day facilities and amenities in the nation.
The program saw the addition of a state-of-the-art lighting system to accommodate night games at Zable Stadium in 2005, and the installation of a new top-of-the-line artificial playing surface, FieldTurf Pro, which is featured in more 20 NFL Stadiums, at Cary Field in 2006.
Additionally, the 30,000-square foot Jimmye Laycock Football Center is now completed and functional for the 2008 season.
The Laycock Football Center is located at the northwest corner of the stadium and, at a cost of $11 million, was funded exclusively through private gifts.
The center provides a state-of-the-art home for meeting rooms, coaches offices, team and coaches lockers, an athletic training room, equipment storage areas, and administrative support areas - as well as an entrance that will include an area dedicated to the program's rich history.
As part of the Laycock Center project, the Joseph Montgomery Practice Complex was also redone with brand new natural grass Bermuda sod. The complex will feature an 80-yard practice field, running parallel to the Laycock Center, and a 40-yard field sitting perpendicular to the main practice field. Both fields will feature permanent goal posts.
And, in the fall of 2007, the department unveiled a state-of-the-art scoreboard with video replay capabilities. The scoreboard has a commanding view of Zable Stadium and is supported by brick columns that will compliment the campus surroundings.
The Laycock Complex Facts
• Total Estimated Cost: $11 million
• 30,445 square foot, two-story building
• Building will house football offices, meeting space, training room, equipment room and locker room
• Eight coaches offices, including 500 square foot head coaching suite with balcony view into Zable Stadium
• Assistant coaches offices will overlook practice field
• All offices will be networked into a state-of-the-art video system
• 300 square foot video production room
• One 2,500 square foot team meeting room with wall-to-wall carpet
• Four additional position meeting rooms, averaging 300 square feet
• All meeting areas networked with video system
• 900 square foot recruiting lounge with window and balcony overlooking Zable Stadium
• 1,650 square foot area serving as grand entrance with circular stairwell to offices
• Sky lights
• Will display prominent moments from program's proud history
• 3,900 square foot state-of-the-art room, featuring 2,800 square foot treatment and taping area
• Hydro-therapy room
• Doctor's exam room
• 4,200 square foot carpeted room with space for 100 lockers
• Breakout meeting space
• Cable television
• Full bathroom/shower and drink station
• 2,300 square foot area with washers, dryers and lockers
• Walk-up, pass-through laundry station
• Abutting loading dock access