Football Tickets
Uploaded Ad
Tribe Club
Tribe Football Falls to No. 12 Delaware, 51-21
Updated: Tuesday 09/23/2012 (ET)
Share |

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (Sept. 22, 2012) - The William and Mary football team fell to No. 12 Delaware, 51-21, on Saturday evening at Zable Stadium.

The game was delayed one hour and 22 minutes due to lightning midway through the third quarter, while much of the second half was played in rain.

Although W&M (0-4, 0-2) outgained Delaware (4-0, 1-0), 362-359, the Blue Hens scored touchdowns on an interception, a fumble recovery and a blocked field goal.

Delaware piled up most of its yardage on the ground, totaling 225 rushing yards on 47 carries, en route to earning its seventh consecutive victory. Junior running back Andrew Pierce provided much of the yardage, as he totaled 112 rushing yards on 21 carries and scored a pair of touchdowns.

Sophomore wide receiver Tre McBride led W&M offensively with a career-high seven catches for 137 yards, while senior cornerback B.W. Webb returned a punt 91 yards for a touchdown. Sophomore quarterback Raphael Ortiz completed 16-of-30 passes for 262 yards.

Defensively, senior safety Brian Thompson posted a game-high 10 tackles (nine solo).

Delaware got on the scoreboard first with a 20-yard field goal by Sean Baner midway through the opening quarter. The score capped off a 14-play, 78-yard drive that lasted 7:00.

Although W&M marched into Delaware territory on the ensuing drive, UD defensive lineman Zach Kerr returned an Ortiz interception 47-yards down the Blue Hens' sideline for a touchdown to increase the margin to 10-0. The interception was created by Delaware defensive lineman Quincy Barr, who hit Ortiz in the backfield while the W&M signal caller was attempting a pass.

A 1-yard touchdown run by Delaware quarterback Trent Hurley capped off a 13-play, 70-yard drive early in the second quarter to increase UD's lead to 17-0.

W&M looked as if it would put points on the scoreboard midway through the second quarter, but placekicker Drake Kuhn's 20-yard field goal was blocked by Laith Wallschleger and returned 90 yards for a touchdown by Travis Hawkins. The return set an FCS record for longest returned missed field goal.

W&M narrowed the gap to 24-7 on a 2-yard touchdown run by Ortiz with 3:26 remaining in the second quarter. The 13-play scoring drive covered 82 yards and lasted 4:44.

A 48-yard field goal by Baner with 0:39 left in the opening half gave Delaware a 27-7 lead at the intermission.

Delaware added another touchdown on the opening drive of the second half when Pierce scored on a 23-yard scamper less than two minutes into the third quarter.

The Blue Hens tallied two more touchdowns late in the third quarter to extend their advantage to 48-7. Pierce provided the first of those two scores with a 4-yard touchdown run, while defensive end Vince Hollerman returned an Ortiz fumble 45 yards for a touchdown with 2:04 remaining in the quarter. UD linebacker Paul Worrilow caused the fumble when he sacked Ortiz.

W&M quickly answered with a 3-play, 75-yard touchdown drive that culminated with an 8-yard scamper by sophomore running back Darnell Laws - his first career touchdown. The series' other two plays were long completions from Ortiz to McBride (40 yards, 27 yards).

Baner's third field goal of the night, a 20-yard kick with 10:17 remaining in the contest, put UD ahead, 51-14.

Webb's 91-yard punt return was the final score of the contest. The exciting play was Webb's second career punt return for a touchdown.

The Tribe will return to action when it hosts Georgia State next Saturday at 7 p.m.

sign up for enews alerts
Tribe on Facebook
Social Media