Men's Soccer Tickets
Football Tickets
Women's Soccer Tickets
Soccer mm
Uploaded Ad
Tribe Club
W&M Edged at Drexel, 3-1
Updated: Sunday 10/25/2013 (ET)
by Jacob Skipper
Share |

Related Links
The William and Mary field hockey team rallied offensively in the second half at Drexel Saturday, but came up just short the tying goal on several occasions before falling 3-1.  The Tribe moves to 6-9 overall and 2-2 in the Colonial Athletic Association, while the Dragons improved to 11-5 and 2-1 in the conference.  W&M is now in fourth place in the league table with two games to go (top-four make the conference tournament).

Box Score

The host team had the run of things in the first half, taking eight shots to a lone try from Tribe junior Brittany Hopkins (Springfield, Va.), and scoring in the 19th minute.  Sophomore goalkeeper Cate Johnson (Charlottesville, Va.) made a pair of saves in the first 35 minutes to keep her team in it, and junior Kelsea Hull (Fredericksburg, Va.) made a defensive save as well, her second of the season.

The second half started out looking like more of the same, with Drexel going ahead 2-0 on a rebound-shot after Johnson made a strong save on the Dragon's first try just a minute in.  From there, though, the Tribe offense got on track, and W&M outshot Drexel 11-7 the rest of the way.  At the start of the 43rd minute, breakthrough finally came on a penalty-corner opportunity.  Junior Emma Clifton (Loomberah, NSW) finagled the ball over to senior Taylor Hodge (Louisville, Ky.), who was able to bang it past several defenders and the keeper to cut the lead to 2-1.  It was Hodge's team-leading seventh goal of the season, and the fifth assist of the year for Clifton.  The Australian's helper was also the 17th of her career, lifting Clifton to a tie for seventh all-time at W&M and into the school-record for assists per game at 0.39.

Over the next 15 minutes, the Tribe had six more shots and two more penalty corners, but were unable to get the tying tally.  A green card in the 63rd minute gave Drexel a power play, and they were able to convert for a 3-1 lead before settling in and denying W&M's final few shot attempts.  Johnson finished with five saves in total.

William and Mary returns to the field on Sunday afternoon, playing at No. 18 American at 2 p.m.

sign up for enews alerts
Tribe on Facebook
Social Media