Football Tickets
Uploaded Ad
Tribe Club
Women's Soccer Battles George Mason to 1-1 Tie in the 2013 Home Opener
Updated: Friday 08/25/2013 (ET)
Share |

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – The William and Mary women’s soccer team battled George Mason to a 1-1 tie in the home opener at Martin Family Stadium at Albert-Daly Field on Sunday night.

Through two matches the Tribe’s record is 0-1-1, while Mason record is now 0-0-1.

William and Mary had back-to-back chances in the 24th minute. Junior Emory Camper sent a shot on frame, but it hit off the crossbar. The ball deflected to sophomore Samantha Cordum, but Mason goalkeeper Lyndse Hokanson recovered to make the save.

Off of a turnover, Mason’s Casey Vornadore controlled the ball and fired a shot from 20 yards out, sneaking into the upper center of the goal. The tally lifted the Patriots to a 1-0 advantage.

The Patriots had three chances in the final 10 minutes of the first half to extend their lead to two goals. Each time, William and Mary sophomore goalkeeper Caroline Casey came up with the save.

W&M came out firing in the second half, tallying the period’s first three chances. In the 47th minute senior Audrey Barry launched a shot that Hokanson saved. On the ensuing corner kick, freshman Clara Logsdon tried to fire a shot, but her attempt was blocked by a Mason defender. The final chance came on a shot by junior Emily Fredrikson, but the shot missed high.

The Tribe found the equalizer in the 65th minute. Barry sent a cross into the box, but a collision up front allowed the ball to land on the foot of Cordum, who scored the goal. The tally knotted the score at 1-1.

In the 81st minute it looked like the Tribe were going to take the lead. On a free kick, Barry ripped a shot, but a Mason defender was able to step in front, earning the team save.

Mason had two chances in the first overtime period, but Casey was there for stops on both occasions. The first came in the 91st minute when Emily Harvey fired a shot on frame, but Casey made the stop. The second chance came two minutes later, but again Casey was there for the save.

The Tribe’s lone chance in the first overtime came in the 98th minute, when junior Aly Shaughnessy fired, but George Mason’s Briana Kottler made the save.

In the second overtime, William and Mary controlled the pace of play. The Green and Gold’s first chance came in the 105th minute, when Camper fired a shot, but Kottler made the save. Off the ensuing corner, senior Dani Rutter had a chance, but her shot was blocked. The final chance of the night came in the 110th minute, when Cordum fired a shot, but Kottler again was able to come up with the stop.

W&M did out shoot GMU 22-17, including a 12-8 advantage in shots on goal. Hokanson, who left with an injury, finished with six saves, while Kottler came on and made three saves for the Patriots. Casey recorded seven saves for the Tribe.

The Green and Gold return to action on Friday, Aug. 30 against High Point at Martin Family Stadium at Albert-Daly Field. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m.

sign up for enews alerts
Tribe on Facebook
Social Media